A single pension from Luxembourg and a professional activity in the state of residence

Who is concerned

This case concerns pensioners who meet the following criteria:

  • the pensioner receives a Luxembourg pension only;
  • the pensioner lives in another Member State of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;
  • the pensioner is also working in the country of residence.

Country competent for medical coverage

The status as an employed or self-employed person takes precedence over that as a pensioner in determining the competent State: as an employed or self-employed person living in a Member State of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, a pensioner is automatically insured by the health insurance fund of their place of residence as a result of their professional activity in that country.

Consequently, the pensioner will no longer be covered by the Luxembourg system.


Registration of the pensioner and their family members in the State of residence

A pensioner should contact the health insurance institution in their State of residence in order to receive information on registration and affiliation procedures, according to their status as an employed/self-employed person in that State.

Important: The pensioner must report their change of situation and/or transfer of residence to the Luxembourg pension and health insurance institutions. They are also required to return their social security card to the CNS if they were previously insured under the Luxembourg system.


The health insurance fund of the country of residence is responsible for all reimbursements, both for medical expenses incurred in the country of residence and abroad.


Last update