Private Household

Who is concerned?

This page is for persons employed in a private household to help with household chores or to look after children.

What should I do if I am unable to work?

If you are sick, you must inform your employer. You also notify the CNS of your incapacity:

  • by telephone (+352 2757-4800), if you do not have a certificate and are absent for a maximum of two days or less
  • by sending section 1 of the certificate of incapacity for work to the CNS (CNS, L-2980 Luxembourg) and section 2 to the employer

If your child is sick (leave for family reasons), a medical certificate is necessary starting the first day of absence : send section 1 to the CNS and section 2 to your employer.

Who pays my salary if I am unable to work?

If you are unable to work because you are ill or have a sick child, your employer will continue to pay your salary. Your employer is then reimbursed for your absences on the basis of a declaration made to the CNS.

In the event of prolonged and ongoing incapacity for work due to illness, your employer will be informed when the CNS takes over and pays your sick leave directly.


Exemption from work, maternity leave and adoption leave are directly paid by the CNS from the start of the leave.

What must employers declare?

The employer must declare your employment in his private household to the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS).

If you are unable to work, your employer will declare the hours of absence to the CNS for reimbursement. For more information, click on the link to the right.

Last update