Sickness declaration for staff of a private household

Have you hired someone to help you with housework or to look after your child, and that person falls ill or takes a leave for family reasons?

You simply continue paying your employee as if they had worked, and the CNS will reimburse you for the time they were off sick.


Save yourself a lot of paperwork and declare these periods of sickness in just a few minutes using the new online procedure in your private eSpace on Click here to access the online procedure.


You must declare the staff you employ in your private household to the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS).

For more information, visit the CCSS website.

Steps to take

For your employee

Your employee must notify the CNS of their absence due to illness:

  • by telephone (+352 2757-4800), if they do not have a certificate and are absent for a maximum of two days or less
  • by sending section 1 of the certificate of incapacity for work to the CNS (CNS, L-2980 Luxembourg) and section 2 to the employer

If your employee's child is ill (leave for family reasons), a medical certificate is required from the first day: section 1 is to be sent to the CNS and section 2 to you as their employer.

For you as employer

On the first working day after the 10th of the month following the absence, the CNS will ask you to declare the hours of absence in order to receive your reimbursement.

  Option 1: You receive a notification to complete a procedure online

If you have already activated the eDelivery function in your private eSpace, you will receive an e-mail notification to fill out the online form the month following your employee's absence, on the first working day after the 10th.

If you have not yet activated eDelivery, why not do so now by following this link? Activation is just a few clicks away, and you will receive e-mail notifications and a direct link to the procedure.

  Option 2: You receive the paper form by post

If you have not activated the eDelivery function in your private eSpace on, you will receive a paper form by post where you can indicate the hours of absence for the month in question. By signing the form, you request reimbursement for the hours you have paid in advance.

Then simply return the paper form by post to CNS - L-2980 Luxembourg.

GOOD NEWS: Even if you receive the absence form by post, you can choose to do it online: quicker, less paperwork, less post! Click here to access the online procedure.

How to find the procedure on

You can access the online procedure by following these steps, even if you have no direct link to the procedure:

  1. Log in to your private eSpace.
  2. Under the "My procedures" tab, click on the "+New procedure" button and choose the "CNS: Claim for reimbursement of sick pay for private household staff" procedure.
  3. Follow the step-by-step instructions.

In just a few minutes, you will have completed the online procedure.

Last update